Thursday, October 11, 2007

proceduralSampler --- soundFishing

-


One of the things that fascinates me about New York is the incredible amount of strange sounds you can hear just walking around the city.

I've built an application in Processing + Sonia that analyze the input audio coming from the microphone and , if an event happens, it will immediately start recording it.

So now I can just go around and the computer decides by itself when to start sampling sounds and for how much time... arrived home I just have to listen to what I've ( unconsciously ) recorded.

It's a bit like to go "fishing" sounds :)

here's the web page on my school's server about this project.

here you can download the application; use, modify it as you want ;)
it runs on Linux, OSX and Windows.

the only thing to avoid in the setup of the application is to use an internal microphone and built in speakers... with this setup probably you will record also the playback of your recordings so try to avoid it or if you want to experiment go for it ... the results can be interesting!

There are some podcasts of sounds sampled where I live in Brooklyn, I just left the application listening to the street's sounds all night long, in the morning I got these results.

-

No comments: